Monday, November 16, 2009

The Experience

Hello all! My name is Aaja Corinne. I began this blog for several reasons: 1) I find secret pleasure in shopping for bargains. 2) I want to build a portfolio for wardrobe consultation/personal shopping. and 3) I need people to understand that fashion is just a series of trends, but style is what you make of it!

One day in my Merchandise Management class we had a vent session about how everyone at our school thinks that their style is so different and unique, but in a quest for individuality, everyone fell into the same pit. I can recall seeing countless female shoppers wearing this particular "look" one Saturday while I was working. It was crazy to me to see that so many people could put together the SAME-EXACT outfit; not that hard I guess when you have tons of fashion magazines and celebrities to influence you. Inspiration is cool and all, but it's just that...INSPIRATION
!

Style Rule #1: Personalize every look to best suit you!
Even if you do fall in love with a magazine ad, take that image and adapt it to your style. For me, personalizing means adding color! I love bold, neon colors. They compliment me by accenting my bubbly personality. My friends often comment on my wardrobe saying, "that's cute, but I couldn't pull that off," or "that's so you!" In turn, there are things that they wear that I like, but the look just isn't me. Understand that just because it's cute doesn't mean that it's cute on you; I know that firsthand. Wardrobe yourself with pieces that compliment your personality and your figure. In doubt? I'm available to help!

Style Rule #2: Have a signature.
I can best relate this idea to singer Rihanna; she is best identified by her hairstyle
. Even in it's many adaptations over the course of the years, long/wavy, asymmetrical bob, short cut, short cut w/ a highlighted bang, and now blond, the look is still unique to her. Hairstylists all over respond to clients' requests for the "Rihanna cut." She is constantly evolving her look, and keeps fashion followers on edge to see what she is going to do next.
Some other individuals known for their signature looks are Marilyn Monroe (curly blond locks and plunging 'V' necklines), and Michael Jackson (metallic apparel/glove and crop pants/white socks/black loafers combination).

Style Rule #3: Be smart about it...money smart that is.
That Marc Jacobs bag is definitely a must have...if it's in the budget. But for many, splurging on big ticket items isn't the smart thing to do, especially if you want a roof to live under next month. That's ok! I've learned that being style savvy is more how you put things together than how much you pay for it. I also have come to know that you can shop anywhere and find something cute. Wal-Mart is one of my hot spots for their screen tees. On the other hand, I shop at Charlotte Russe exclusively for their footwear assortment. Expanding your shopping territory will help you to find the best deals because competing retailers carry similar merchandise. If it's "in," that style has saturated the market, and you can find a bag similar to the Marc Jacobs one that you love, one that is within the means of your budget.

So what's your opinion about all this stuff??? Consider these three rules as you wardrobe yourself daily, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment