Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Are You a 10?...

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of browsing the Fashion section at Borders to find Fashion for Dummies by Jill Martin. (LOL!) Anywho, I found useful bits of information; one thing in particular that stuck with me was the author's '10 Point System.' So today I ask you, are you a 10???

In saying that, I am referring to more than just your looks. We are talking total package. You are the beautiful present, but how are you wrapped up? Jill Martin's '10 Point System' is a five-step wardrobe assessment that helps you to rid yourself of clothing that doesn't perfectly suit you.

#1: Fit
How does the garment fit? Is it too tight, too loose, too short, too long? Whatever the case may be, fit is very important. If something isn't properly fit, you're less likely to wear it, and if you do....let's leave it at that.

#2: Style
Now this is a tricky one. Personality really dictates this one. My style icon, Rihanna (you know I had to bring her up), can pretty much pull off anything. When the broad shoulder trend came back, though it didn't take off full throttle, she was wearing it, and looked amazing! My belief is that it didn't fully complete the trend cycle because it's so over the top, and the majority of people aren't daring enough to take it on. On the flip side, my auntie gifted me with a vintage dress, absolutely stunning...black, knee-length, long-sleeved, with thick shoulder pads, and buttons down the front. I wore it with black platform pumps and purple/black striped tights. Ridic. One of my best outfits to date; my new haircut really sealed the deal!
So, style. Is it trendy, is it outdated, is it something that you can see yourself wearing again regardless? You know you. Use your better judgment.

#3: Condition
It is NEVER okay to have 'bullet holes' in anything. Also, sweaters that have lint balls all over them are a no as well. It just takes away from the entire look. I had to break my habit of keeping too many 'around the house' clothes. I had piles of clothing that I was saving, but never wearing. Do yourself a favor and just let it go.

#4: Relevance
Are you a hippie or a business woman? I guess it's alright to be both, but for the most part your wardrobe should be cohesive so you can maximize the versatility factor.

#5: Use
Those garments that you look over time and time and time.......AND TIME again. For whatever reason you're not wearing it, understand that if it was a '10' it would be in more frequent rotation. Donate it or sell it! Someone else might really benefit from it.

Now that you have walked to your closet and applied all these steps, I am certain that you're a pretty, little present, dressed in the finest wrapping paper and bow...the perfect 10! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment