Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Label Junkies

Today, my client begged me to hold a pair of True Religions for her until Friday...a pair of jeans that were two sizes too big. Why? Because she's a label junkie.

The problem with label junkies is that they get hold of one or two names and make them the end all of fashion. People speak of Prada, Gucci, Chanel, Louis Vuitton and Fendi like they are the only designer labels that ever existed. They thirst for a single item to validate them...Chanel earrings or a Louis Vuitton belt. If you can't afford to go in either of those boutiques and blow money, what's the point?

My niche in fashion is style on a budget. I find great pleasure in finding a good deal. I also understand that hefty price tags don't ensure quality. All retail stores mark up their merchandise at least 50% and popular brands charge extra for the name.

Because my client was so animate about those True Religion jeans, I gave her a fitting room to try them on. Then, I brought her another pair of designer denim, Mavi, to try on in her size. She loved them, but had never heard of the brand before. Because she only hears about True Religions, she had to have a pair by any means necessary.

Don't be a label junkie. Do your research! You'll find that a lot of retail stores have the same vendors, so compare prices! In regards to designer denim, I have a few recommendations:
  • Genetic - Feels like a jegging...uber comfy!
  • J Brand - For the petite woman.
  • Serfontaine - For the curvy woman. LYCRA GALORE!
  • Mavi - Less expensive than most designer denim, but great fit.
Take my advice. Style triumps trend any day. Happy shopping! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment