Friday, January 7, 2011

ICK!!

Today is my big cleaning day.  I like to relax as much as possible on the weekends so I usually do my big cleaning jobs on Fridays.  I went to do a load of laundry this morning and when I opened the washing machine I decided that the dirty clothes were probably cleaner than my washing machine.  Gross, I know.  How is it that I never really noticed, like it just happened overnight? 

During the summer I hang my clothes to dry outside and use my homemade laundry detergent and I don't need fabric softener with that so it doesn't really get gunky.  But during the winter I use my dryer a lot and I use fabric softener, the liquid kind, the kind that smells really good, but makes a huge mess over time in the washing machine.

Go look in your washing machine.  Really look, like around the top of the porcelain basket.  Is there a ring there?  Look in your bleach cuppy thing-a-ma-bob.  I had cat hair in mine (just keeping it real), and look in your fabric softener filler-upper-thingy.  Is it goopy?  Did you really go and look?  If you did and yours is clean, then just go away and have a catty conversation with your friends about the blog lady who's washing machine was disgustingly similar to a hazardous waste dump.
(not my actual washing machine, thank you very much)

I used these:
I removed the softener and bleach cups and put them in a sink full of hot soapy water.  I filled the washing machine basin with hot water and added 2 cups of vinegar and let it agitate for a couple of minutes.  Then I turned the machine off and let it sit for about an hour.  I drained the basin and the scrubbed the inside with a paste of Mule Team Borax and water. I used my scrubber sponge and the toothbrush that the vet gave me to brush my dog's teeth.  (Like that's gonna happen).  Then I ran a full cycle on hot with about 1 cup of Mule Team Borax.  I scrubbed the cups and put them back in. 

All done.  Now my clothes are dirtier than my washing machine and I don't want to put them in there.  No laundry done today.

On a side note, I went thrifting yesterday and found this cute little vintage cake cover.  I just love that the paint is coming off the handle.  I know that I shouldn't be using my flash but I don't know how to turn it off yet and I have not yet read the manual.  (I know, hanging head in shame).

I think it looks cute with my Fiestaware plate and bowl.

It's pretty sad when your friend Kris is posting exciting details about her adventures attending cooking classes and all I have to talk about is cleaning my washing machine. 

Holly
xxx-ooo

No comments:

Post a Comment