Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fashion, too, is a Universal Language.

I attended a lecture featuring Debbie Allen that took place at Columbia College last night. I was really inspired by her words, in particular, her views on work ethic and success. A few things stuck with me, one being that opportunity comes when preparation is at its best, and the other point that dance is a universal language that is spoken in every part of the world. I thought about that, and I totally agree. I believe that the same is true for fashion.

I often study the work of established stylists and consider the advice that they have to offer. I look through magazines and find that I sometimes disagree with their choices and opinions about certain things. All that to say that what's hot and fashionable is a matter of opinion. I don't think that is an argued point, but it really emphasizes that fashion is a way to express yourself. Trend forecasters present an idea to the public and it's up to the individual to decide how they want to interpret it. You can either take it or leave it, and that's when 'style' comes into play.

Fashion is a language, style is your identity. Who can argue with you when you look great and feel comfortable in your own skin? Though I believe that everyone should have a signature, I don't think that you should limit yourself to just one look. I have an assortment of clothes, shoes, and accessories. My dress on any given day is a reflection of my mood and how I want to present myself to the world that day. I know that I look just as great in hightop sneakers as I do in pumps. The media simply offers suggestions, though at times those suggestions seem like requirements because they are coming at you from all angles. What do you like? What works for you? You'll always look and feel your best if you stay true to who you are. Believe me, no one can do you like you can! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment